Friday, January 21, 2011

The really strict teacher

So in my class, I have a little girl who is a such a little hypochondriac. I feel so bad for her, but some of the things she comes up with are pretty funny. About every half hour (usually starting after lunch), she'll come tell me something like that her tummy hurts, her finger aches, or even that she thinks she's probably going to get sick sometime soon, but she just wanted me to know. Most times, I just look at her in a really concerned way and say, "Oh my, that's terrible. I guess you're just going to have to be really brave today."

But today, she started earlier than usual. Right after the bell rang, she came up to me rubbing her face and told me that today it was her jaw that was really hurting. Again I tried to show as much concern as possible, but instead of just telling her to be brave, I decided to try giving a cure and told her that perhaps she might want to just try breathing really, really carefully during the morning.

"Ohh, okay Miss Wagner," She took a deep breath and nodded her head. "I'll try." Then she walked away with the most serious expression. I just smiled. But then I had to regret my choice of cure (or at least saying it as loud as I must have) when I heard a boy across the room whisper to his friend, "Uh oh... Miss Wagner said somebody's breathing too loud."

Uh oh... when that story gets around I'm going to look like such a psycho teacher.

Thank goodness Parent Teacher Conferences were last week.

5 comments:

Em Rob said...

LOVE this story so much!

The Lindseys said...

That story is so cute. You deal with those kids so well!

Erin Spenc said...

You must be really patient!

Dave and Camille said...

Hahahaha... at least you didn't tell the class you were subbing for last week (during a fit of pregnancy hormones) that they were chewing their gum like cows and that wasn't ok in my classroom. The funny thing is they said ok and stopped after that. I love your updates - you are an amazing teacher!

Joy For Your Journey said...

How did I miss this one? I didn't realize you updated your blog until this morning. So cute!!