Monday, November 15, 2010

This boy's going to be trouble- I'm just glad I'm not his mom!

I have a boy in my class I like to refer to in my head as Don Juan. He has definitely done his best to earn the name. It doesn't seem to matter who I sit him next to, he will fall in love with her. It wouldn't be such a big problem except that the girls seem to all fall in love with him too! So this last seating chart, I decided that I would be strategic and put him next to this extremely quiet girl, because I figured she'd be the last person to give him any encouragement.

I must have been wrong.

Last week I was in the middle of a multiplication lesson, and I had to turn my back to the class to write a few problems on the board. When I turned around it was to see the last thing I expected in the middle of a math lesson (who knew math was so romantic?). There was Don Juan leaning over in his chair with his arms around the shy girl, his eyes closed, and a contented smile across his face! The poor girl looked scared out of her wits and was grimacing in an enduring sort of way.

Iwas so surprised I just gasped.

The boy's eyes popped open and unfortunately, he let go.

The poor girl fell right out of her chair with a thud to the ground! And the whole class got to see it as my gasp had focused all their attention on her. (Luckily, they don't know all the details of the situation- I'd hate to encourage any more of that happening!) I felt so bad. When she climbed back up, her face was the same color as her her bright red hair. But what I couldn't believe is that it didn't seem to phase my little Don Juan one bit! He just went right back to writing his math notes with a cocky shake of his head and a big grin on his face. What a stinker!

A few minutes later I announced there would be a new seating chart the following day. Lucky me, at recess, I had a whole procession of girls coming up to request to sit next to that boy because they said they thought it'd be fun.

Ohhhh I bet it would.

Which is why it's NOT going to happen.

Instead he is currently nicely seated to the next best thing to a boy: a tall tomboy.

And I'm loving it :)

4 comments:

Em Rob said...

OH MY GOSH- WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS STORY TODAY? Is it L--- and E-----? That is CLASSIC! Even Tyler was busting up laughing!

Alicia said...

Well done Ms. Wagner! Classic!

Joy For Your Journey said...

That is so funny! And you are right, he is going to be trouble when he is a teenager. I feel bad already for the string of broken hearts he will leave. Apparently flirting pays off, however.

brook said...

sounds like just my type....
smooth criminal