Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bran Muffins

This morning I decided to surprise my grandparents with bran muffins. But they're the best warm (and grandparent's deserve the best, right?) so my sister and I just showed up to their house with the batter.

I popped them into the oven, and then went back to join everyone in the other room and announced, "Be excited, Grandpa. You're 15 minutes away from heaven."

His eye brows shot up. "I sure hope you mean symbolically."

Oh shoot. Me too... wrong choice of words.... but we had a good laugh :)

I sure love him.

BEST Bran Muffins (courtesy of my cousin Monica :)

1 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 beaten eggs
4 cups buttermilk
4 cups All Bran Cereal (the kind that looks like cat food)
2 tsp. salt
5 tsp. baking soda
2 cups boiling water
5 cups flour

In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Add eggs and mix. Then add buttermilk, cereal, boiling water, baking soda and salt. Mix. Let cereal dissolve a bit. Fold in flour.
Bake at 350 degrees for 18 min.
(And if you don't want to cook it all at the same time- my cousin Monica says the batter can last in the fridge for over a week) Enjoy!

5 comments:

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh, Kristen!!! Poor Grandpa!! :-) I bet he loved the muffins though.

Alicia said...

I want some!

brook said...

i can attest to the fact that these ARE the best muffins ever.
i love you!!
and your delicious food
xoxo

Alice Johnson said...

oh my gosh!! are these the ones i die for??

Natalie said...

I LOVE bran muffins. I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe.